Sunday, January 18, 2009

Letter to a Baby Book

Baby Brother
You'll never be a senator, like dad wanted.
Or a pro-footballer, also like dad wanter.
But you'll always be loved, like mom wanted.
And though you lay there, cold and pale, perfectly healthy,
You weren't okay.
Mom wasn't okay, and dad wasn't okay, and all everyone who sent you cards wasn't okay.
The priest was worried for them. I would've been too. But i wasn't even in the works then.
You almost shared my name. Do you still want it?
It's cute, but not my style. Better than Augie, right?
And though you'll never buy me beer, although you'd be to good for that,
it's nice to know that i would have had the option.

"Our baby never came home, but will live in our hearts forever"

Say hi to dad for me, won't you.
Thinking of you, Brother.

3 comments:

  1. wow brendan. i'm sam stewart. i don't know if you know/remember me or anything. i was pretty close with sarah for a while and kayla bleckley's one of my besties. i had no idea you were such a writer. these are really wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. no love, but i'm going to put it in a book eventually.

    ReplyDelete